Nature and biodiversity
Eis Epicerie Zolwer
Neighbourhood grocery store & bistro with local, regional, fair trade and/or organic products, creating employment - Ecological, social and solidarity-based concept.
Eis Epicerie Zolwer
"Eis Epicerie Zolwer" bewosst akafen - gesond liewen
- It opened its doors on 6 June 2015, as the first solidarity grocery shop (as opposed to social grocery shops) in Luxembourg, with a variety of more than 1,500 local, regional, fair trade and/or organic products,
- each of which has its own story and creates employment, due to our close collaboration with local producers and craftsmen, as well as with social and professional reintegration initiatives and sheltered workshops.
- Through their purchases, our customers also enable people who are far from the labour market to find meaningful employment with us.
- Our aim is to promote - whether for the grocery shop, its bistro (as well as its brasserie boulodrome) or the catering - that seasonal products are purchased / consumed locally / regionally, and that they are not used in the same way as other products.The aim is to offer consumers the choice to opt for a more ecological and healthier consumption alternative in all simplicity.
- By relying on bulk sales, short circuits and thus promoting the reduction of packaging, we are acting against food waste and for the environment.
In the bistro area, or even the meeting place, within "Eis Epicerie
- (with a capacity of +/- 25 to 40 people), alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are sold in the bistro area.), alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, two daily menus, as well as seasonal snacks & pastries (based on the same criteria and products mentioned above) are prepared.(based on the same criteria and products mentioned above) are prepared/served (delivered and/or taken away), in order to turn the shopping moment into a convivial and pleasant one.
- Numerous socio-cultural and educational events in a spirit of mixity / cohesion / social inclusion are also organised there.
EpiSol Sanem s.c. - SIS
How is your initiative financed?
Self-financing Donations & Financial contribution in case of need from the Commune of Sanem
Are there any additional partners or funders connected to your initiative?
Social Office of the Municipality of Sanem
Lack of staff/volunteers to take on all the additional tasks due to the considerable expansion and growth, especially of the catering in "Eis Epicerie Zolwer" and the activities of "Eis Brasserie Boulodrome".
What’s neededFinancing Engaged citizen Part time volunteers Strong arms Expertise/knowledge
Our mission is to promote
- responsible consumption by marketing local, regional, organic, fair trade and unpackaged products
- social inclusion
- reintegration into employment
- values of solidarity
- a local place open to all
Our vision is to
- create a social and solidarity space
- promote the circular economy
- focus on ecological principles
- to place the human being at the centre
Our purpose (according to the statutes)
- is to be a cooperative society, open to all,
- with as its main object (Art. 2.1 of the statutes), the establishment and operation of one or more solidarity grocery shops as well as the operation of one or more alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks outlets with catering.
- This object (Art. 2.1 of the statutes) is in line with the support and promotion of a social and solidarity economy, which is essentially based on the establishment of partnerships with organisations active in the promotion of social, ecological and economic activities - while favouring a community and participatory approach.
- As an accredited cooperative & SIS (social impact company), with 100% social shares, any profit is paid into the statutory reserve which is unavailable to cooperative members and which is intended to strengthen and develop EpiSol's social purpose (Art. 9.4.1 of the articles of association).
Purpose & Social Impact (as provided for in the Articles of Association and in the SIS (Societal Impact Society)Agreement )
For the purpose of evaluating the performance objectives relating to the realisation of the purpose & social impact, respectively the distribution of the "profits", the following performance indicators will be taken into account (Art. 2.4. of the statutes)
- number of beneficiary clients of the Social Office of Sanem and the % of turnover (without profit) related to the beneficiaries of the Social Office
- local/registered, organic and/or fair trade products and products from sheltered workshops and initiatives for socio-professional reintegration & volunteering
- number of jobs, SVO volunteers, students/trainees in vocational training
- number of volunteers
- and number of socio-cultural and -educational events in a spirit of mixity / cohesion / social inclusion
"Eis Epicerie Zolwer" is pleased to welcome
- its customers in Soleuvre, 2, rue du Knapp, from 7.30 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Monday to Friday and on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- It is a shop open to all, including the beneficiaries of the Social Office of Sanem. Our aim is to provide access to healthy, balanced and responsible food for everyone, including financially disadvantaged people and families.
- Thanks to this social and solidarity action, these people can benefit from solidarity prices; the difference between the two prices being made up, among other things, by fundraising actions, donations, discovery workshops, events, etc.
Challenges and learning successes
- Most of the growing catering, which is delivered (and served) outside, is prepared in the kitchen and in the now too small premises of "Eis Epicerie Zolwer".
- The conversion of the open terrace in front of the building into an enclosed veranda will substantially increase the capacity of the premises.
- Good Health and Well-being
- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Reduced Inequality
- Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action